GCA is a client-centered firm which means that we pride ourselves on being accessible, flexible and responsive. Realizing that we are providing a service, we work to simplify our client’s lives by responding to their needs and removing obstacles that keep them from achieving their goals.
For Nonprofit Agencies
GCA assists organizations by individualizing and tailoring each assignment to the particular needs of the client. This approach ensures the sustainability and ownership of the program by the organization.
BOARD DEVELOPMENT – We work with clients to clarify the board’s role and engage your members. We also help develop an appropriate and effective working relationship between the board and executive management. GCA provides the following services: assessment of the board strengths and weaknesses, determining desired qualities in potential new members, and developing a board recruitment plan; designing roles and responsibilities for the board and drafting job descriptions for committees and board members; and guide the board in formalizing oversight of the executive director and annual performance evaluation.
CONFLICT RESOLUTION – As a trained mediator, Gail Goodman provides a full range of conflict resolution services. A strong proponent of alternative dispute resolution, Ms. Goodman works with boards and Executive Directors to resolve contentious issues as a non-judgemental, non-directive third party. She works with organizations to resolve interpersonal or interdepartmental conflict that hinders productivity and undermines performance and facilitates constructive discussions to relieve tension among the staff or board. As an independent third party, Ms. Goodman helps you: mediate disagreements within your organization; manage relations between your organization and the communities you serve; prevent staff or board turnover as a result of unresolved conflict; and, coaches and trains executive staff and board chairs on conflict resolution methods.
MEETING FACILITATION – GCA staff guides discussions, clarifies issues, keeps participants on focus, controls tension levels through a guided conversation that ultimately achieves the goals of the meeting. Each event is creatively designed to keep attendees fully engaged and productive.
PROPOSAL WRITING – GCA prepares grant proposals and trains staff to write coherent and logical proposals. We explain how to tailor proposals for particular funders or donors. GCA also works with executive staff to develop a realistic funding strategy.
GRANT-MAKING – GCA guides philanthropists through the entire grantmaking process, from deciding on a strategic grantmaking plan to presenting capacity building workshops for grantees. We oversee the process of giving out grants which includes:
- creating guidelines
- reviewing proposals
- arranging and making site visits
- instituting and monitoring evaluations and managing essential due diligence functions
- submitting reports to the board and executive staff
- provide support and guidance for family foundations
- prepare and organize educational seminars and conferences for funders and grantees
- present technical support workshops for funders and grantees
Focus on Assisting Israeli Non-Profit Organizations (NPOs) and their Funders:
Gail Goodman, the founder of Goodman Consulting Associates, and an Israeli consultant, have joined together to provide services to both Jewish philanthropists interested in investing in Israel’s nonprofit sector. Giving to organizations in another Israel is a wonderful opportunity but also a challenge because they are so far away. Funder and donors want to be sure that their money is being spent wisely and that the goals they are supporting are being realized. Another challenge is being up-to-date and informed about the needs and concerns of
Israeli society and the myriad organizations that are addressing those needs. Typically money is directed to the more high profile NPOs while there are so many more worthy organizations that operate out of the eye of the American supporters. Working with an Israeli colleague who has ties to the NPOs there, we offer the unique service of bringing those agencies to the attention of American donors.
The specific services we provide in this area for donors are:
- briefings on causes or activities in Israel that might be of interest
- organizing and overseeing the grantmaking process
- assistance in identifying organization that match their funding criteria and mission
- carrying out all due diligence activities in Israel
- producing reports on donor portfolios
- arranging tours of agencies for those visiting Israel
For NPOs in Israel, we provide the following services:
- creating opportunities for exposure to American donors
- coaching senior staff both for presentations and material preparation for visits abroad and in Israel
- follow-up with potential donors
- arranging speaking opportunities
- connecting Executive Directors with their counterparts in the United States for mentoringor networking
- teaching proposal writing and orienting staff to the American funding process
- assistance with preparing reports to funders